- General information
- Official addresses
- Education system facts
- Learning German
- Exchange programmes
- Germany for young people
Germany for young people
- Youth work and youth policy in Germany and Europe
- Work & life in Germany
- Current topics
- Education for Democratic Citizenship
- In Focus: Cultural Education in Germany
- Environmental education/sustainability in Germany
- International Perspectives on Multilingualism
- Refugees in Germany: Focus on Education
- Immigration Policy Germany
- Educational Monitoring in Germany (English language resources)
- German literature and searching for literature in Germany
- Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice
The Advanced Search option offers three different ways of refining your search quest:
1) You can attribute the search terms to specific fields.
The categories of the search fields can be altered by using the selection list menu. The search fields are connected by an (AND conjunction)by default. You can enter several search terms into one field, separating them by blank spaces.
- "all words" is activated: the matching record will contain all of the search termsAND conjunction)
- no activation: the matching record may contain only one of the search terms (OR conjunction)
2) You can define a time period for your search
Please enter a publication year(=) or activate a period of time by:
- < (prior to the stated year)
- > (later than the stated year)
- <= (prior to, or in the year that is stated)
- >= (later than, or in, the year that is stated)
3) You can determine the databases or areas you would like to search.
Please mark the checkboxes for the databases accordingly. You can use the same method for deactivating databases.Please click onto the information symbol "i" if you wish to find out what the diverse databases offer.
A default setting of clusters facilitates your choice of databases and you can select or deselect databases by activating the "areas" in the left hand column. If, for instance, you are exclusively interested in bibliographic refernecs or international data records, a selection of appropriate areas will lead to an automatic search in relevant databases only.
If you are only interested in one particular database, please select it from the list of databases by clicking onto its name. You will thus access a specific search option for the particular database you have chosen.
The selection list menu for "records per page" allows you to determine the number of documents that will be displayed on the screen immediately.
display format: You can choose from three display formats, i.e. only titles, or annotations (with and without URL).
When entering your search term, please note that capital letters and small letters are not distinguished, and umlaut as well as the character ß are automatically dissolved.
You can use wild cards when searching different word forms of the same term (* or %). You can place these wild cards at the left or right hand side or the centre of a search term. If you wish to replace a single character, you can use _ as a wild card.
- Kind* will find Kind, Kinder, Kindes, Kindheit, kindlich,…
- *materialien will find Lehr- und Lern- and Unterrichtsmaterialien
- *beratung* will find Beratung, Berufsberatung, Beratungsgespräch or Berufsberatungsgespräch
- Male_ will find Maler, malen, …
Please bear in mind that not all of the databases support these truncations, it thus may be advisable to search individual databases separately. You only need to click onto the name of a particular database in the list of databases.
The number listed above the block and the overview in the right hand margin indicate the total number of matches. The option"more results”.
allows you to activate more matches.
Please click onto one of the records if you wish to open a new browser window where a complete description of the data base entry will appear, including all relevant information such as the URL by which you can access the respective website. You will thereby leave the German Education Server website.